What's on your work bench?

simonr
Site Admin

What's on your work bench?

Post by simonr » December 14th, 2020, 1:46 pm

Finally finished for Christmas, so hoping to get on with some painting again. What are you all up too?

I'm slowly working on parts of the Hermann Goering Division for Sicily 1943. Currently focused on some light cars and some Flak 30 guns. The cars are from ACE, and it's the first time I've managed to build an Ace kit with out going mad and throwing them it the bin.

The Flak guns are from First to Fight, 2 models in a box, along with the transport trailer too, which is an added bonus. Very nice kit, just a shame the instructions on the box are so small and a little vague. The open ammo trailer is from Milicast, but I lost the lid, so had to improvise a replacement.

Don McHugh

Re: What's on your work bench?

Post by Don McHugh » December 14th, 2020, 2:21 pm

Loving the flak guns, going to have to get some of those.

Don

SP>

Post by SP> » December 14th, 2020, 2:26 pm

Very nice Simon

RKKA

Post by RKKA » December 14th, 2020, 5:39 pm

Great stuff Simon, looking forward to the finished work.

I got some ACE guns very cheap from a closing down sale. Soon found out why they were cheap and have chickened out of tackling them ever since. Even trying to sell them on at bring and buys didn't work :lol:

Alanmccoubrey

Post by Alanmccoubrey » December 14th, 2020, 7:48 pm

I'm doing some very old Minifigs S Range Chasseurs a Cheval, just got them out of the detol this afternoon.

IWill

Post by IWill » December 15th, 2020, 12:32 pm

Hi all,

Working on a SHQ 20mm Polsten with crew and a Britannia jeep TOW with crew,
I have about 100 figures to finish off the bases. This will complete the 1st air lift from the new RF Market Garden book.
Will post pics when all done.

Cheers,

Ian

Don McHugh

Post by Don McHugh » December 15th, 2020, 1:17 pm

After a disaster wit some matt varnish earlier this week, I am hoping to finish some more 25mm Napoleonics.
I will post pictures later.

Don

simonr
Site Admin

Post by simonr » December 15th, 2020, 1:43 pm

Varnish in my bug bear, I hate having to apply it, the fear of it going tits up, and I hate running out and having to buy a new jar, I never trust a new jar.

RKKA

Post by RKKA » December 15th, 2020, 2:57 pm

simonr wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 1:43 pm
Varnish in my bug bear, I hate having to apply it, the fear of it going tits up, and I hate running out and having to buy a new jar, I never trust a new jar.
I'm with you on that Simon, and like Don I have had problems with matt varnish which can be inconsistent. Sometimes OK but others as you say, with a new pot it can give the figures a sort of whitish frosting.
I like a matt finish on figures so now I tend to use satin or gloss for protection and then when thoroughly dry use Army Painter 'Anti-shine' to get back to matt. A bit tedious making sure to get the coverage but seems to work.

Don McHugh

Post by Don McHugh » December 15th, 2020, 4:42 pm

It is the first time it has happened for years and I now think it may have me opening the kitchen window for ventilation, on what was a cold night.

I will try again later in the week, when I have repainted some areas of the tanks.

Don