Airfield buildings

Fire at Will

Airfield buildings

Post by Fire at Will » July 24th, 2020, 1:58 pm

I have had these a while, I picked them up on ebay to use for the planned Crisis point game, but when that was cancelled due to lockdown I put them to one side.

After assembly I felt disappointed by the appearance especially the Nissan huts and almost gave up, but I persevered
The Nissan huts were a basic frame that looked nothing like the originals and the side windows are appalling so I gave up using them, To give the correct appearance I clad them in corrugated card recycled from wine boxes, thanks to Steve A for that tip.

The Control tower is the best but I had to make all the levels accessible and added the railings around the viewing platform

The hanger is a very monolithic structure, I think a double roof would have looked far better and the entrance is not wide enough to get any 1/72 aircraft inside.

One of the original pictures from ebay, I still have the "radar" but I won't be using it.

Phil Portway

Re: Airfield buildings

Post by Phil Portway » July 24th, 2020, 2:17 pm

Will, you made some shite terrain look quite stunning TBH. Would never have known they were the same building! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Don McHugh

Post by Don McHugh » July 25th, 2020, 10:51 am

You have done a great job on those Will.

Shame your show was cancelled, what game had you got planned?

I haven't warmed to MDF buildings as I feel they lack detail and I will spend hours getting them to look reasonable.

Don

Fire at Will

Post by Fire at Will » July 25th, 2020, 4:47 pm

Don McHugh wrote:
July 25th, 2020, 10:51 am
You have done a great job on those Will.

Shame your show was cancelled, what game had you got planned?

I haven't warmed to MDF buildings as I feel they lack detail and I will spend hours getting them to look reasonable.

Don
I was a what-if for the SOTCW a scratched together force of Germans both seaborne and airborne landed in the Caucasian state of Andrevia to secure a vital stock of minerals stored there. We did a test game at WMMS. day 1 would have been the landing and day2 the the Soviet counter-attack. It was a multiplayer version of Battlegroup with lots of factions involved.

I feel the same about MDF, in retrospect I should have created the buildings from scratch.
Will